meebo

Friday, August 28, 2009

Tinkering School & Slide Design

When Gever Tulley presented to his TED audience, he took advantage of his own images and an amazing roller coaster video clip to send home his message. His slides are a clear example of how much more powerful real world images can move the audience to action. You won't find a single bullet point or long paragraph of text in any of his slides. Instead, you SEE his content, which in turn allows you to visualize and feel his message.

I was ready to speed off to Home Depot, buy my own tools, nails, screws, and large quantities of wood and start my own backyard Tinkering School. His passion had moved me to action. His multimedia provided a strong case for his position as to why kids needed to explore. If he had used the standard PowerPoint presentation format, like the one I created below, it would not have been the same. So, please remember that the example below is what NOT TO DO.

As a presenter, when you have images and videos of the content you are presenting, use them, in fact, abuse them. Now is not the time be bashful or too embarrassed to show off your work. No one remembers a slide full of text or bullet points, images and video will move your audience to action.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jim, thanks so much for the kind words. I have been working to remove words from my presentations for the last 10 years and feel like I'm finally starting to get to something that is working. Perhaps you've seen it already, but I'm playing new printed forms of presentations as well - here is the comic book based on that TED talk: http://blog.ted.com/2009/02/tinkering_schoo.php

    ReplyDelete

Followers